I literally did nothing today except cook food, eat it, sit in front of the computer, and (attempt to) play with the cat. What, you ask, was I doing in front of the computer all day, when there was sun and beach 5 minutes away? Here’s a list:
- Looked for apartments, called people, got rejected, kept looking. (Out of about 7-8 apartments that didn’t work out, ONE ended up in setting up an appointment to visit tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.)
- Tried to figure out how to register with the federal police as a foreigner. (Apparently you have to print 4 documents out — I spent 20-30 minutes looking for them, translating them, and filling them out, and sign up for an appointment time to have someone look at and file your documents at the federal police office. Of course, appointment times aren’t available for a few weeks out. Then you have to get every page of your passport and visa application copied, and then get those copies NOTARIZED. You have to take 2 of the 4 documents you printed out to the bank (preferably Banco do Brasil), pay about $100 USD, and keep the paystubs. You also need to get two photos of yourself of exactly 3cm x 4cm. Then you have to take all of this, plus your grant paperwork, and possibly a birth certificate (I’m fucked on that front), to the federal police station in central Rio, at the time that you scheduled online that was a few weeks out. Oh, and you have to do all of this within 30 days of arriving to the country. If, at your scheduled appointment time, the official decides that you didn’t do it all correctly, or that you’re missing some piece of information, they’ll make you redo it and set up another appointment time, which might be another few weeks out. If you don’t get all of this done before the 30 days, they fine you, and, in some cases, may deport you. FUN.)
- Did more research on the cheapest phone plans available for my phone. (TIM has a $0.25 cent/day prepaid plan that includes data. Yes, that’s USD. WHAT. Will be going to the store tomorrow. Also had to update my version of iTunes because my computer is so damn old and I haven’t connected it to my phone in over a year. This would’ve prevented me from being able to use any other phone chips.)
- Did more research on BJJ gyms. (I got lucky and a random Brazilian guy who shares Facebook friends with me messaged me to give me information on pricing, which is, of course, not available online.)
- Mapped out everywhere I need to go tomorrow on paper. Because I don’t have internet on my phone yet. Old school geography skills FTW.
- Reorganized all of my research files from like 2 years ago when I originally applied for this whole thing. Also realized that I’m really rusty on academia-think. Damnit.
I did, however, have some company..
Berna came home from a day at school and reported that “faz calor pra CARALHO” (“it’s FUCKING hot outside”). Over 90 degrees Fahrenheit apparently.
I then made us some dindin. Behold, my magical powers of food preparation!